Thursday 2 April 2009

The Sunday Times Oxford Literary Festival- Thursday 2nd April

The Oxford literary festival did not fail to deliver! As I sat down in a sea of white, glowing from the surrounding tent, I heard the clock tower chime as if to signal the beginning of my journey here. Colin Dexter, the writer of Inspector Morse, entertained the audience with his dry humour and great story telling. He engaged with Laura Thompson (biographer of Agatha Christie) to discuss what makes them both so great but also to talk about the whys and how's of killing the protagonist.



As the day drew on, people scrambled about the books in the marquee and around authors themselves for a bit of their penmanship. C.J.Sansom's line was so long, I felt sorry for him- especially as he had tennis elbow.

Later that evening, I entered into the great hall, which has inspired so many images we recognise today. Brass lamps glowed upon the huge long tables, as the faces of royals looked down upon me from wooden paneled walls. The fireplace roared behind me as I listened to writers such as William Fiennes, Philip Pullman, Katie Waldegrave and Frances Wilson, talk about the importance of writing for children. A truely enchanting experience and I suggest you get down there before it ends!

No comments: